Make Rag Rug
Make a Rag Rug Out of Things in Your House
You can make rag rug out of materials right in your house! To make rag rugs, all you really need is an abundance of rags. I wouldn't expect you to literally have bags of rags lying around in your house but consider the following sources for your rags:
- pantyhose with holes in them have been used to make cheap rag rugs
- plastic grocery bags can also be used to for indoor/outdoor rugs
- old cotton sheets that you are about to discard
- old flannel baby blankets that your family doesn't use any more
- any old blue jeans that you or your kids might have outgrown
Now depending on how you want to make your rag rug, you might need to buy some things but I'm going to keep to my promise and tell you about a way you can make a rug out of only stuff you have in your house. They're handwoven rag rugs called toothbrush rag rugs. To make a toothbrush rag rug, you need the following things:
- rags cut in strips (the size depends on how large you want the rug to be)
- old toothbrush. Be sure you find one that has the hole in its handle for hanging it up. You need the hole to thread the rag through
That's it! That's all you need to make a toothbrush rag rug. There are numerous ways to make toothbrush rag rugs but they all basically revolve around weaving the strips around previous rows, much like how a braided rug is made. If you are under 12, ask an adult to sharpen the edge of the toothbrush so that you can more easily slip in through the inner workings of your rug.
About the Author
Janine Jones is a freelance writer based in Northern Virginia (she likes to call it NoVa). New to the freelance world, Janine used to work as an analyst / programmer for a beltway bandit before deciding to mix being a stay-at-home-mom with a writing career. These days, Janine tries to get a little work done when her two kids (ages 3 and 15 months) are otherwise occupied. Janine is hooked on area rugs of all kinds.